Almost every week we are contacted by someone who has been a victim of an online scam Devon Rex website or Facebook page. Here are some tips on
how to spot these scammers....
1. Several kittens available of different ages. Ask yourself, if most reputable breeders are always working from waiting lists, why is this different?
2. Price is considerably less than most breeders. The scams I have seen often offer kittens for under $1000 US dollars. If price seems too good to be true, it is.
3. Website has a "buy it now" button- no reputable or legitimate breeder will just allow you to buy a kitten. They will require an application or an interview with you to make sure you are a good fit for one of their kittens and also for their cattery as getting a kitten from them should be a lifelong relationship.
4. Poor grammar is a huge red flag in the sense that many of the scammers are from foreign countries and are posing to be breeders located in the United States.
5. No photos of parents and or no formal pedigree names of parents. A reputable breeder will showcase their breeding cats and also their pedigreed cats as they are proud of them.
Bottom Line - If it seems too good to be true, it probably is!!!!!